May 15, 2016

Of Darkness and Light

Have you ever noticed how there are cycles of darkness and light in our life? 
Every night, the sun goes down and the world becomes dark. 
But only for a little while. 
Because just as predictable as the darkness of evening 
is the brightness of the morning. 

This last month my anxiety has been really really bad. 
It felt like a period of darkness that wouldn't end.
A period of darkness that I didn't have the strength to fight.
There were nights full to tears and despair. 
There were days full of tension and worry.
There were times when I could do nothing more than just 
lay there and wait for it to pass. 

And though it's always hard to remember in the black of the darkness, 
it will always pass. 
With time, things can always get better.
Last night I felt more like myself than I had in a long time. 
Last night I began to see light again. 

I know I'm not the only one who daily wrestles with anxiety,
or with the constant struggle between light and dark. 
So to you who may be in the darkness for a moment,
hold on.
Light will come. 


"Oh, thought I, that I could be banished and become extinct both soul and body. [...] As I was thus wracked with torment [...] I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world. Now as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death. [...] And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more [...] And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain! Yea [...] There could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again [...] on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy." 

No comments:

Post a Comment