October 13, 2013

Of being happy

You know how every tells you not to let external events define your happiness? 
Well turns out, it can be hard to do.

This week I was sitting talking to my psychologist and she commented 
that I seemed to be doing really well.

My immediate reaction was "What are you talking about?! 
I still don't have a job. 
I still have no semblance of a social life. 
And I'm still living with my parents."

But then I started thinking about what she said and 
I started to realize she was right (big surprise there).

Yes, I still don't have a job.
(And heaven help you if you ask how the job search is going.)
Yes, I really don't have a social life outside of babysitting.
And yes, I am still living at home.

But it's ok.

Because I am happy.

I'm happy that it's fall and I'm on the East Coast 
where the colors are marvelous, the wind is crisp,
 and the leaves crunch just right. 

I'm happy that my little sister is getting married and
 I'll have a new brother-in-law to have my back. 

I'm happy because I have a new Pumpkin Apple candle in my room. 

I'm happy that I've kept in touch with friends from college 
and that we can still talk and laugh together.

I'm happy when the little kids I interact with run up and give me a big hug. 

I'm happy that I get to babysit all the time because not only does it pay for necessities 
(aka milkshakes and chocolate), but because the kids are so cute, so full of life and happiness,
 and they remind me to laugh and enjoy life. 

So I may still be here, but I'm happy. 

I'm finding joy in the journey. 


"There will always be things to complain about - things that don't seem to go quite right. You can spend your days feeling sad, alone, misunderstood, or unwanted. But that isn't the journey you had hoped for, and it's not the journey Heavenly Father sent you to take. Remember you are truly a daughter of God! With this in mind, I invite you to walk confidently and joyfully. Yes, the road has bumps and detours and even some hazards. But don't focus on them. Look for the happiness your Father in Heaven has prepared for you in every step of your journey. Happiness is the destination, but it's also the path."
- Dieter F. Utchdorf

1 comment: