December 16, 2017

Stillness

This may come as a surprise to you, but life is busy. 
There's always something else to do or somewhere else to be.
There are diapers to change, lunches to pack, meals to plan, groceries to shop for, work assignments to complete, laundry to do, and on and on.

And when I need a break, I turn to my phone. Scrolling, liking, reading, until finally at the end of my day I've filled absolutely every minute with something. 

And I can keep going, and pushing, and doing. 
But eventually I'll break and crash and my body will force me to stop. 
And then it's tears, guilt, and exhaustion. 
All the raw feelings we avoid.

Amidst it all, there's one thing I need to do better. 
I need to take time to be still. 

Stillness isn't just the lack of movement. 
But a way of thinking and being. 
Stillness is being in the moment without thinking of the next thing, or what you should be doing, or feeling guilty for being still. 

Stillness is choosing to hold your sleeping baby a little bit longer.
Stillness is taking your time to get somewhere instead of speeding and rushing.
Stillness is allowing yourself to take a break and walk away when you need to. 
Stillness is hugging your loved one a little tighter and a little longer. 
Stillness is allowing yourself to be as you are. 

Daily life isn't about the tasks, to-dos, and time fillers.
It's about the moments of stillness that bring peace and happiness. 

The holiday season isn't about the presents, packages, or parties. 
It's about our Savior's birth in a quiet still stable.

So whatever it may look like - 
take time to be still.



1 comment: